Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Coconut Brown Rice Pudding with Currants



I love learning about new foods. It is exciting having new ingredients to add to my recipes. Today the new food is currants. I learned some great information about them on this site. I was so excited to see all the health benefits. They are similar in taste to a raisin, and smaller than a raisin. My daughter liked them, and she doesn't like raisins. I happened upon them at a sale I was at. Hooray!

Today I made a nice rice pudding, and loved having the currants with it. This would make a nice light dessert or a nice breakfast as well.

Ingredients:
2 C milk
2/3 C coconut milk
2 C cooked brown rice
1/4 to 1/2  C packed brown sugar or sweetener
1/8 tsp salt
1 T cornstarch
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp orange zest optional
currants* optional
milk for on top if desired

Directions:


1. Heat in a saucepan pour milk,coconut milk,sugar,salt and cornstarch. Mix together with a wire whisk. When it starts to boil stir in the rice.

2.Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Stir a 1/4 C of hot mixture int the eggs. Then stir the mixture into the milk mixture. Turn down the heat to low and continue to stir until the mixture thickens. Stir in the spices and *orange rind if desired.

3. Take off the stove and stir in the vanilla. Dish into bowls and garnish with currants, and cinnamon, or your favorite topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment