Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Spiced Peach and Macademia Nut Crisp

You can have it with a scoop of homemade vanilla bean ice cream...

or without.

This was a fun treat. I thought I wasn't a big fan of fruit crisps, but I really am enjoying them lately. It reminds me of my Moms cooking. :) I think if the fruit is cut up in small pieces I like it much better. The other thing that really adds to my enjoyment of it is the added spices. It makes me hungry just looking at it. I wish I still had some. I think it would make a wonderful breakfast too. You could make it the night before, and have it already to go the next morning. It is loaded with good things. It is a great way to use the fresh fruits that are available right now.

Ingredients:
servings 8
spice mix:
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg
1/4 tsp cardamom

Fruit:
3 C peaches cut in small pieces *(you could use fruit of your choice)
2 T juice of one lemon
1 tsp of spices
Crumb topping:
2/3 C spelt flour or whole grain flour
1/4 tsp sea salt with iodine
remaining spice mixture
2/3 C old fashioned oatmeal
1/2 C macadamia nuts chopped up fine in the blender * or another kind of nut
2/3 C honey
1/3 C coconut oil or butter

Optional: Top with vanilla bean ice cream. ( I replaced the milk with almond milk. Yum! )

Directions: Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 min.

1. Mix all the spices in a bowl together.

2. In a bowl pour the fruit, lemon juice and 1 tsp of spices in a bowl. Set aside so the spices can seep into the fruit.

3. In another bowl mix the flour, salt, spices, oatmeal and nuts. Whisk together until they are all combined. Pour the honey and oil on top. Cut in with a pastry blender until it is all combined.

4. Grease a square pan. Heat up the oven.

5. Pour the fruit in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the fruit. Spreading evenly all over.

6. Bake in oven till nice and golden . It will thicken as it cools.

7. Cool and serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.




No comments:

Post a Comment