Monday, July 18, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Honey

One of my husbands favorite kind of ice cream is vanilla bean. He loves to eat it with out anything on it, and he savours every bite. So he was thrilled when I made some fresh homemade vanilla bean ice cream. He loved it! The rest of us loved it too. It was fun to know it didn't have any corn syrup in it. It is hard to find ice cream that doesn't have corn syrup in it. This is not one of those low calorie recipes, but it is a fun treat for Summer. :) My family loves ice cream so it is nice to make a healthier version of it. I have seen real vanilla beans in the store but never bought them. My daughter had a friend who had extra, so I bought some. These were wonderful. The ones you buy in the store are hard and need to be soaked to soften them. The ones I bought were nice and soft. They smelled good too. It really does enhance the vanilla flavor, which I love.

Ingredients:
2 C cream
2 C milk (I used 1 C 1% and 1 C 2 %)
1/2 honey
2 vanilla beans split lengthwise
1 egg

Directions:
1. Combine cream, milk, honey, in a saucepan. Cut the vanilla pods lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the cream mixture. Then throw in the pods too. Heat till it just comes to a boil.

2. In a separate bowl beat egg. Then add a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg, beating it. Then add the remaining cream mixture. Pour back into the saucepan.

3. Put the saucepan on the stove on med low heat and let it thicken. It should reach about 170 on a thermometer.

4. I left the pods in and poured it into a container. Let it chill 3 hours in the fridge or 1 hour in the freezer.

5. Then pour into ice cream maker and follow manufactures directions. (Removing the pods before mixing it in the ice cream maker.) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment