Monday, June 6, 2011

Kasha Varnishkes with Chicken


This was a fun dish to try. I did my own version of this traditional Jewish pasta and buckwheat dish. I didn't have bow tie pasta, so I made due with what I had. I also added some chicken to it, and used green onions instead of regular onions. I thought it would make it more appealing for my family members.

Buckwheat is a wonderful grain. It is a complete protein. It is nice to find ways to include it in our diet. The meal was very light, but filling at the same time. I felt very satisfied after eating it. It would make a wonderful Summer dish.

Ingredients: Serves 5 to 6
1/2 C buckwheat groats (kasha)
1 egg beaten lightly
2 T coconut oil or oil of your choice
1/2 C water
6-7 green onion chopped small pieces or onion chopped thin slices
3 cloves of minced garlic
3 small cans of sliced mushrooms totaled 19.5 oz
3 C cooked farfalle (Bow ties) or pasta of your choice
1 can cooked chicken breast 12.5 oz
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp salt or season to taste

Directions:

1. In a small bowl mix buckwheat and egg together.

2. In a small sauce pan heat over low heat, and add 1 T oil. Pour in buckwheat. Cook and stir continually until the groats are dry, and the grains are all separated.

3. Add water to the groats; bring the water to boil. Turn down the heat and let simmer 5 to 10 minutes till all the water is absorbed.

4. Then heat a skillet and pour in 1 T oil and heat medium heat. Pour in onions, and garlic until golden. Then add the mushrooms and cook 2 to 3 more minutes. Turn down the heat. Pour in the chicken (I added the water that was in it too). Stir in oat groats. Let cook 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the pasta, paprika, pepper and salt. (save 1/4 tsp paprika to sprinkle on top)

No comments:

Post a Comment