Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sweet and Sour Chicken and Brown Rice



I took dinner to a friend. It is always hard to know what to make. I decided on this. It is always nice when it goes over well with my family. I feel like there is a good chance the family I took it to, will like it as well. I hope so! :) I am a big fan of sweet and sour. How about you?

Ingredients:

Brown Rice cooked
(I used the pressure cooker. I put 2 cloves of garlic, 2 T fresh marjoram, 2 1 /2 C Brown Rice, 5 C water, 1 T lavender mix. Cooked it for 20 min and let it cool down for 10 min. perfect! Added salt and pepper at the end. You can cook it in a Rice cooker, or how ever works best for you! ) *optional you could add a finely chopped onion.

1 1/2 to 2 lbs chicken tenders (They are on sale this week at Sunflower Market $1.99 lb)
1/2 C soy sauce (I am going to try to cut the soy sauce down to 1/3 C nest time)
1 to 1 1/2 C water
3 to 4 T lemon juice
1/4 to 1/3 C honey
4 fresh basil leaves dried basil 1 tsp
3 to 4 garlic cloves minced
1 T fresh ginger 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp thyme
1 onion chopped up fine
1 leek cut in small pieces
1 orange pepper chopped in small pieces

1. While the rice is cooking. I put the chicken in the pan to cook. You could put in a little water. Maybe a 1/4 C put on the lid. Let it cook a few minutes.

2. Then take off the lid and add the remaining ingredients, Stir it all,till its all combined. I then put the lid back on and let it cook on med to low for about 30 min. Letting all the flavors combine. I then used a pair of kitchen shears and cut the chicken into small pieces.

3. Then I mixed the mixture with the cooked rice. I didn't even have to add any thickener. It combined well and was a nice texture. Salt and pepper as needed. Enjoy

*You could add some other colored peppers to make it more colorful. :)
* You could also not mix them and just pour the chicken mixture over the rice.
*This was so good for lunch the next day! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment