Friday, January 14, 2011

Lemon Muffins with Kefir


I had a craving yesterday for something made out of fresh lemons. I love the smell when I cut up fresh lemons. It is amazing! It was therapeutic enjoying the smell. I would love to have lemon and orange trees in my yard, but that probably won't happen anytime soon! :) When I was growing up, my parents had them in our yard. There is nothing as good as home grown.

I have a bowl of lemons on my counter still. It brings extra life to my home this time of year.



This is what I ended up making with my lemons. They passed my 2 year old grandson taste test. I know that I have succeeded when he eats it. He is a picker eater. =)

Ingredients:

2 1/2 C oat flour
1 1/2 C spelt flour
1 C Teff flour (I ground it up in a coffee grinder)
1 tsp cardamom *optional
1/2 tsp salt
1 T baking powder
1 1/2 C Kefir or plain yogurt
1/2 C coconut oil
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
juice from 3 lemons = 1/2 C + 1 T
1 T lemon zest
1/2 C + 2 T honey

Directions:

1. Measure and mix all dry ingredients into a bowl. Set aside.

2. Measure and pour all the wet ingredients together in a bowl and beat until combined.

3. Combine the wet and the dry ingredients together till combined.

4. Pour into greased muffin pan. Bake in oven 12-15 minutes at 350 degrees, or until lightly golden.

5. Enjoy! =)

Makes about 35 mini muffins.

* Kefir has the most nutrition uncooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment