Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chewy Mixed Grain Bars

I found a recipe for granola bars, and changed it around. It was fun to add some extra grains in. I also made them not as sweet. You can decide if you want to have them sweeter. I am trying to adjust my families tastes, as well as my own, to crave less sweet. By adding some spices to it, it adds another dimension that I really liked. My applesauce I used was some unsweetened homemade, I had made and put in the freezer. Yes, you can freeze applesauce! It works great.
These were the finished product. You could wrap them up individually, and put them in lunches. Airtight container would be best.
This is what the mixture looks like when I mixed the fruit, applesauce, and seeds together.
Then I added the whole grains, coconut and eggs and poured it onto a jelly roll pan.
Ingredients:

2 1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
1 C dried fruit (I used mangos, blueberries, and cranberries)
2/3 C sunflower
1/4 C pumpkin seeds
1/4 C sesame seed
5 T honey (you may want more?)
1/4 tsp cardamom
1 tsp cinnamon
2 C six grain rolled oats (you could just use oats)
1 1/3 C whole grain flour (I used spelt, oats, kamut equal amounts)
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 1/3 C unsweetened coconut

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 400. Grease jelly roll pan.

2. Mix in a bowl applesauce, seeds, and spices and stir together.

3. Then add the oats, whole grain flour, baking powder, coconut, and eggs to the fruit mixture. Stir until all mixed together.

4. Pour on to jelly roll pan spread evenly. Bake until golden, about 20-25 min. Cool and cut into bars. You could add your own variations, chocolate chips, raisins, other dried fruits, etc... Have fun with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment