Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wild Rice with Tilapia

This was a happy surprise. I have wanted to have wild rice for a while. I was shopping at Sunflower Market, and was excited to find this mix in the bulk section. It was nice having brown rice in the wild rice. It is wonderful to utilize the bulk section. Bulk buying is a great way to try small amounts before you buy a big bag. When my children heard what was for dinner they weren't too sure. There never quite know what to expect. They get to be the guinea pigs. :) It was nice to have them eat and go for another helping. The tilapia was a nice light taste, that helped to make it a great dish. I just bought a bag of individually wrapped tilapia at Wal Mart. It is nice to have my family enjoying fish a little more often. =)

Ingredients:
Marinade for fish:
juice from 2 medium oranges
1/4 C soy sauce
1/4 C water (I like to dilute the soy sauce down a little)
1/2 T rosemary
1 tsp fresh marjoram chopped *optional
3-4 garlic cloves pressed
2 T Olive Oil
6 tilapia fillets

wild rice:
1 C wild rice
2 C water
2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp cardamom * Optional

Directions:

1. Wash rice under water well before cooking. Put rice and water in 2 qt covered dish, with water and spices.

2. Cook in 350 oven for 1 hour covered. Check Rice add more water if needed, and fluff rice with a fork. Continue cooking covered for another 1/2 hour. Rice should be moist but not dry. Makes 3-4 cups cooked rice. *You could also cook on stove or in microwave.

3. While the rice is cooking, prepare the marinade. I put the fish in a glass Pyrex and poured the juice, soy sauce, spices, and garlic on top. Let sit for 20 min.

4. Then heat up a fry pan with 2 T olive oil. Put the fish in with the marinade. I put the lid on and let the heat and steam cook it. It was on med low heat. It didn't take long about 15 min.

5. You have 2 options: 1. Serve the rice and fish separately or 2. Pour the rice on top of the fish. I decided to mix them. I didn't stir it much. I wanted to keep the fish in bigger pieces. The fish is tender and will fall apart easily. I put the lid on again for 5-10 min on low, to let it cook together. I hope you enjoy it as well.

*I squeezed some orange juice on top of mine. It tasted good. I was just craving something orange today. This dish hit the spot.
*I had fresh spinach and orange slices with it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment