Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Oatmeal Pie Crust (Gluten Free)

This was fun to make a healthy pie curst. It tastes like a cookie to me. I usually don't like the normal pie crust, I would be happy to leave it behind. My family enjoyed this as well. I was recently wondering if you could make a healthy pie crust. I found a recipe and did some changing and here you go. The cool thing is it is gluten free. For those people who are gluten intolerant, and thought pie wasn't an option. =)
I just whipped some whipping cream and cut up some frozen strawberries and added a small amount of sweetener. I made two. We ate one and froze one, both versions were yummy. I think I may have liked it frozen a little more. You can be creative with what you fill it with. I could easily have made this fuller. I was trying to stretch the ingredients for 2 pies.

Ingredients: Makes 2 Pie shells (One isn't enough. You will want another one.) =)

3 1/4 C Old fashioned Oatmeal
1/2 C almonds (You could use a different kind, or a combination)
1/3C +1 T honey
1/3 C coconut oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom* Optional

Directions:

1. Pour oatmeal and nuts in a blender or food processor and grind into a flour.

2. Pour the mixture into a bowl. Pour honey, oil, and spices in. I then used a pastry cutter, and cut the mixture until it was all combined.

3. Grease pie shell. I then just poured it in and formed it similar to the way you would make a graham cracker crust. Push it up against the sides. Much easier to make than a regular pie crust.

4. Then bake in preheated 350 oven for about 13-15 min. Just until light brown don't over bake.
Then let it cool and fill. I think you could cook it with a fruit or pumpkin filling in it. I did not try it. I will have to try that next. =) Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Thanks for posting.I am trying this tonight with a Chocolate Pudding Pie filling. Since there are only two people in my household, I didn't want to make the other pie crust, so I am saving the mixture in a gallon ziploc bag and will freeze it I'll be sure to let you know how both turn out! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete