Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wholegrain Cardamom Bread Low Gluten

This is a recipe I got 30 years ago, when I was in College. That sounds like a really long time ago. I had fond memories of this recipe. I was telling my daughter who is in college to collect recipes. They will bring back fond memories from that time of life. I was able to change it to whole grain flour with success, and cut the sugar down and the butter. It was one of the best looking whole grain breads I have made. :) It would be a fun one to serve to guests during the holidays.
It was a nice slightly sweetened bread. It tasted good. I hope you enjoy it too.

This is what the dough looked like before it was cooked.
This is the finished product.
Ingredients:

9 C Spelt Flour Mix* or Wheat flour or you could use some White Flour
2 C Scalded Milk (I just mixed up some powdered milk it worked great)
2 T Yeast
1/2 C Warm Water
1 C Sugar or I used 1/2 C honey
2 Eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C butter or I used 3 T Butter and 1/3 C Coconut Oil (you could use another oil)
1 tsp Cardamom
1 Beaten Egg

Directions:

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water (not hot) and sugar or Xagave. I don't even stir it. I just let it sit for 5 to 10 min.

2. You can scald the milk if you use regular milk by heating in the microwave, for a couple of minutes. You will have to let it cool before you add it to the yeast mixture. I sometimes put ice in it to speed up the process. I did not heat up the powdered milk and it worked great.

3. Add the milk, sugar, 2 egg, salt, butter, oil and cardamom, to the yeast mixture.

4. Mix the flour in 1 cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the sides. You still want the dough to be sticky.

5. I kneaded the dough 4-5 min in the Bosch. (When you use the Spelt Mixture you don't want to Knead too long) If you are doing it by hand knead 10 min.

6. Cover let rise till double.

7. Pour out on to floured board. Knead by hand for a couple minutes till smooth.

8. Then divide into 6 equal pieces. I weighed it. Each section was about .73. You then roll each piece into a long snake. I put oil on my hands to make it an easier process.

9. Then grab 3 of the pieces lay them out straight push them together at the top and braid them. You can then keep it long or make it into a circle.

10, Cover let rise till double. That happened really fast about 20 to 30 min.

11. Place dough on a cookie sheet. Beat an egg and brush on to the top of the dough. Bake in a preheated oven 375 20 to 25 min. Time may vary according to your oven. This bread is a winner! : )

* Spelt mixture I ground up 6 C Spelt 2 C Kamut 1 C Oat Groats or Oatmeal. I have extra for the next recipe I make. I just store it in the freezer.

2 comments:

  1. I was at a seminar last night at Dr Bill Lawlers office and your sister was there and told us about your blog...its wonderful! I was wondering if you teach classes? I would love to attend or host a class at my house.
    My email is: julielewis76@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your support! I will send you an email.

    ReplyDelete