Friday, May 21, 2010

Brown Rice Mixture



This is something that I make regularly. I make a large amount and put the leftovers in the fridge for other meals. It stays good for a week. The cool thing is it is a great way to add grains to other meals. If its all cooked and in fridge, it's ready to go, so you are more likely to use it. I make it in my Cusinart pressure cooker. It was a splurge, but I have used it a lot. I love it. You can make it in your rice cooker or make it the way you would make Brown rice.

The recipe I follow is :
2 C. Brown Rice
1 C. Barley or 1/2c. Barley & 1/2 C. quinoa or 1/2 C. millet
6 C. Water
add spices of your choice. I like Marjoram, Basil, or Cilantro (for Mexican)

I usually keep the ratio of Brown rice 2 to 1 of other grains. Then you cook it the way you would normally cook rice. (In my machine I set it for 17 min. at high pressure. It takes a few minutes for the pressure to build. Then the timer runs the 17 min. I usually let the pressure go down on its own. Maybe 10 to 15 min. I sometimes leave it longer. It stays warm till ready to serve.)

The key is make sure it is soft. :) Here is some suggestions of what to do with it.

1. Eat it the way it is, add salt and pepper and other spices of your choice. Great side dish.
2. I put some in my husband's lunch today with some homemade salsa and cooked beans.
3. You can add a cup to pizza dough. The texture is not noticeable with all of the toppings on it.
4. Add it to soup.
5. Add it to Mexican dishes.
6. Add it to casseroles.
7. Add it to your favorite salads.
8. Add to cooked vegetables.
9. Use your imagination!

The key is that the grain completely cooked. I have increased the mixed grains at times, making them a higher ratio to the brown rice, but I would start out with the 2 to 1 and see how you like it.

This technique also works with other grains. Cook them ahead of time, and then you will be more likely to add them to your favorite recipes.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I got a pressure cooker for Christmas and I love it for cooking brown rice. I'll have to try it mixed with some other grains now. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to not be happy the way my brown rice turned out. Now with the pressure cooker it is a snap. It is a wonderful machine. I love it! I am glad it is working well for you too. = )

    ReplyDelete