Thursday, March 25, 2010

Honey Oat Bread


6 c. hot tap water
2 eggs
1 c. oil
2 c. rolled oats
3/4 c. honey
8 c. whole wheat flour
3 T. yeast
3 T. salt
3 T. gluten * optional (makes bread lighter)
6-8 c. spelt flour mixture* or whole grain flour
1 T. lecithin * Optional (Makes bread lighter)
oil

*I keep this on hand. It is a mixture consisting of 5c. spelt, 2 c. kamut, and 1 c. brown rice flour. You can also just use white flour, but I can't bring myself to do that anymore.



Preheat Add water, eggs, oil, honey, and 8 cups whole wheat flour to your mixer. Mix to a paste. Add yeast, salt, and gluten. Add remaining flour one cup at a time until dough cleans the sides of the bowl. Let mixer knead for 8 minutes. Add lecithin and knead until mixed through.

Divide into loaf-sized balls. I coat my hands with a little olive oil so the dough doesn't stick to my hands. Other oils will also work. Roll the balls into loafs, keeping the top of the loaf smooth. Place dough in greased pans. Pans should be 1/2 full.

Let dough raise until about double in size. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment