Saturday, February 8, 2014
Pistachio Pairing: Whole Grain Molten Chocolate Cake
Here is another pistachio pairing for you today. I was thinking about a decadent treat to pair with these little, delicious nuts, and I thought of chocolate. Nuts and chocolate always are a terrific pair, right? And ice cream is a must, right? So here is my 2nd pairing. You will love this molten chocolate cake when eating your in-shell nuts!
My pairing = in-shell pistachios + ice cream + Whole Grain Molten Chocolate Cake + hot chocolate
This was a recipe my girls used to love to make. I thought it was time for a healthier remake. This cake has completely whole grain flour, no white sugar, and it is incredibly moist. A lot of people think you have to sacrifice flavor when you cook desserts with whole grains, but this proves everybody wrong. This cake is incredibly gooey with a hot fudge sauce inside. Enjoy!
1 C whole grain flour (I used 3/4 C spelt and 1/4 C Kamut)
2 tsp baking powder
2 T cocoa
dash of salt
1/2 C almond milk
2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C honey
1/2 C honey
4 Tbsp cocoa
1 Tbsp whole grain flour
* Ice Cream optional (Here is a healthy homemade version)
1. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder. cocoa and salt.2. Mix in milk, oil, vanilla, and honey until just incorporated. Pour dough evenly into 4 to 5 ramekins. (You could also use an 8×8 pan, but you would have to change the baking time.)
3. In a small bowl, mix together honey, cocoa, and 1 Tbsp flour. You will have a thick, wet batter. Dividing the mixture evenly between the ramekins, scoop the new batter on top of each uncooked cake, spreading it gently.
4. Now take about 1/2 C of water and pour it gently on top of each cake. Each ramekin should have about 1/4 inch water sitting on top, although it will soak in quickly.
5. Cook at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until top looks done. The cake may have chocolate sauce seeping around the edges, and the middle will still be moist.
6. Cool just until it won’t burn off your taste buds. :) Leave plain or top with berry preserves, whipped cream, or healthy homemade ice cream. Then devour!
I received free pistachio samples from the Pistachio Health Institute mentioned in this post. By posting this pairing I am entering a contest sponsored by Pistachio Health Institute and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.