|Whole Grain Heart-shaped Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup and powdered sugar|
|Heart Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup and Buttermilk Syrup. Mmmm!|
So here at Grain Crazy we decided to make Valentine's season start a little earlier so it can last longer. It is one of our favorite times of the year. It is also Britney's birthday, so that makes it extra special to us. So we are going to bring you some healthier options for Valentine's Day in the next couple weeks.
I used spelt flour for the pancakes, but you could substitute your favorite whole grain flour. I've included both the recipes for Strawberry Syrup and my favorite Honey Buttermilk Syrup. The pancakes are good with one, but even better with both!
2 C whole grain flour (I used spelt.)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt optional
1 tsp cinnamon
2 T coconut oil
1 T honey
1 1/2 C almond milk unsweetened
2 1/2 C frozen strawberries, thawed
1 tsp lemon juice
3 T honey
3 T butter
1/2 C honey
1/2 C buttermilk (If you don't have buttermilk, use 1/2 C milk and 2 tsp vinegar)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 t vanilla
2 tsp almond extract (optional (but so good!))
strawberries, cut up
sifted powdered sugar
1. Heat up griddle to about to about 300 degrees. Grease with oil.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir together with a wire whisk.
3. Add eggs, oil, honey, and milk, Stir until just mixed.
4. Pour the batter on to griddle. Cook until light golden on both sides. Then take them off the griddle and cut into heart shapes using a cookie cutter. You can then decide what topping you want on them.
cutting out the hearts
5. For Strawberry Syrup place the strawberries, juice and honey into blender and blend until smooth.
6. Sift with powdered sugar if desired.
7. For Buttermilk Syrup, place a saucepan on medium low heat. Pour in butter, buttermilk, and honey. Let the mixture come to a boil for 2 minutes. Take off the heat stir in baking soda, vanilla, and almond extract. Serve over warm pancakes.
8. Place cut up strawberries on top.
* Cut up bananas would be delicious too.
* I found the squeeze bottle at walmart for 2 for $2.00. It makes it a fun way to apply the syrup.
You might also like to check our Strawberry Vanilla Valentine Pudding. It is such an elegant, yummy dessert!