Friday, September 27, 2013

Fall Squash Medley


Looking for ways to use your summer squash? We have had a lot of crookneck squash from our garden. We have enjoyed eating it. I have found I just wash the squash and leave the skin on. My preference is to not have mushy squash, so I cook it till is just barely soft (al dente). I also like it not cooked a lot because it keeps its pretty bright colors. Here is one way that my family really enjoyed.

Ingredients

3 T coconut oil or olive oil

1/2 white onion chopped up small peieces
4 garlic cloves minced
2 C sliced washed mushrooms
2 C chopped up crookneck squash
1 1/2 C chopped zucchini
salt and pepper to taste
herbs of choice I used some fresh thyme and marjoram

Directions

1. Heat up skillet to medium heat pour in the oil. Let it heat up.
2. Stir in onion and garlic cook about 2 to 3 min.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook another 2 to 3 min.
4. Stir in the squash and cook stirring often. Cook until the squash is just soft.
5. Add salt,  pepper and herbs of choice. Dish into serving dish. Grate cheese on top if desired.
Serve right away.
*If you have left overs they would be delicious in your pizza or spaghetti sauce. Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment