Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Oat Groats with Amaranth and Qunioa Cereal

I love this time of year. We still are enjoying great weather. I just love taking deep breaths and soaking it all in. It energizes me. It is a nice time of year to be eating hot cereal. Get your family started on the right foot.  I have oat groats. I decided to eat them whole today instead of making them into flakes. It was a nice morning breakfast with a lot of texture in it. It is a great way to get you started on the right foot. I added fresh peaches. nutmeg, and apple spice seasoning and a bit of honey too. Yum! I love the fresh peaches this time of year. I rushed it today but next time I am going to start soaking it the night before.

Ingredients:
1 C Oat groats
1/4 C Amaranth
1/4 C Qunioa
1 T coconut oil
2 C water or milk
1 T honey 
*nutmeg, cinnamon, apple spice seasoning to taste
fresh peaches* optional
rice milk or almond milk drizzled on top* optional

Directions:
1. *Soak grains in liquid covered in the fridge. If time allows.
2. Heat on stove adding oil and honey. Let reach until it reaches a low boil.
3. Turn down the heat and let simmer until it is nice and soft. Add more liquid if needed to soften.
4. Serve into bowls. Top with fruit and spices if desired. Drizzle on milk and you have a great meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment