Thursday, May 10, 2012

Steel Cut Oats

I tried something new today. I bought steel cut oats yesterday. I had been wanting to try them and had never taken the time to buy them. I really enjoyed them for my breakfast this morning. I liked the chewiness of them. I love to eat different textures. It is part of the whole eating experience for me. I felt very satisfied after eating them. They really filled me up fast. I added dried blueberries to it, but I decided I really liked the more natural flavor without the berries. It was less sweet and more natural tasting.

Steel-cut oats come in varying sizes. They are pinhead, coarse and medium and fine. They do take a longer time to cook. They have a nice nutty and chewy flavor. They offer 5 to 7 grams of protein per 1/4 cup serving. One serving adds 4 to 5 grams of fiber.  It also adds about 10 % of the iron you will need in a day. Steel cut oats are raw where as regular oatmeal is steamed as they process it.  

You could make them the night before and reheat them in the morning. You could also soak them the night before. If you make a large batch you could store them in the fridge in an air tight container and reheat when you want them.

This time I made them in the pressure cooker. They were done in 8 min. I quick released the steam and they were ready to go. The moisture would have been absorbed more if I had let the steam release on its own. (I got anxious)

Ingredients:
2/3 C steel cut oats
2 C water or milk or a combination of both
1 T honey
1 T coconut oil
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste preference 
You could add your favorite fruit topping if desired. 

1. Pressure cooker method: Place all the ingredients in a pressure cooker and turn to high pressure for 8 min. Let the steam release on its own if you have time. The moisture will absorb better.


2. stove top method: Toast the oats in  coconut oil let them turn light golden colored. Pour in the liquid and honey. Let it come to a boil and them turn down to low to let it simmer. (You may add some additional liquid if needed) It is done when the moisture has absorbed. They will still be chewy but tender.  It will take about 30 to 35 min to cook. Soaking them cuts down on your cooking time.

3. You could make them ahead the night before or start soaking the oats the night before.      

   

No comments:

Post a Comment