Monday, October 17, 2011

Whole grain Applesauce Bars


Some got frosting and, some I just sprinkled with powdered sugar.
I enjoyed the first serving. It had a nice texture.
I got them ready to give my friends for their dinner. I found putting the whole pan in the fridge for a little while, made them easy to cut and helped the foil not stick on to them.


It is that wonderful time of year when all the leaves are changing. I went on a walk today and just soaked in all the color. It was a delicious day. It is also that time of year to find things to make with apples. This recipe is a wonderful way to enjoy your applesauce. I used quince sauce that I had made it worked great too. I love all the whole grains and spices, working with the applesauce to make a great flavor combination. This would be a great breakfast or snack. You could just sprinkle on some powdered sugar instead of frosting. I used frosting because I was taking someone some for their dinner.



Ingredients:
2 C unsweetened applesauce or quince sauce
1 C honey or 2 C sugar
1/2 C water
1/4 C coconut oil or oil
4 C whole grain flour (I used combo of spelt, kamut, and brown rice)
2 1/2 baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg (I used fresh nutmeg)
1/2 tsp cloves
1 C raisins *Optional


Glaze
2 C powdered sugar
3 T coconut oil or 3 T butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C milk
1 tsp pumpkin spice* optional

Directions: Heat oven to 350

1. In a big bowl, beat, sugar, sauce, water, and oil until all blended. Set aside.

2. In a small bowl mix all the dry ingredients together.

3. Then stir the dry ingredients together with the applesauce mixture. Stir until moistened.

4. Stir in raisins if desired. Then put in a greased jelly roll pan. Spread evenly in the pan.

5. Place in preheated oven and bake 15-20 min. or until toothpick comes out clean.

6. Mix up glaze if desired and spread on when the bars cool, or sprinkle with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment