Friday, October 28, 2011

Chili Chicken with Brown Rice and Quinoa (Crockpot or Pressure Cooker)

Nightime picture, so bad lighting. But it was all gone by morning.

I heard someone on the radio talking about eating chili chicken at a restaurant and it intrigued me. I have been thinking about it ever since. So this is the creation I came up with. I consider it a success when my daughter is eating it and tells me it is "tasty." Then she later told me I needed to put the recipe on the blog. :) Those were sweet words. It would make an easy Halloween dinner, either in the crockpot or pressure cooker. (This is a one pot dinner, Aimee.)

Today is a happy day at our house we have another b-day. My youngest daughter (of 5 daughters) is turning 18. She is a sweetie. She has a bright future ahead of her. We are going shopping today for her b-day present. She loves to shop. I was thinking yesterday how crazy it is to have my family growing up. It is a happy time to see them all accomplishing great things.
My 3-year-old grandson told his Mommy that grandma's cookies are not a treat. I keep laughing about that. He is always asking his mom if certain foods are a treats. For example when he was eating a caramel apple, and he asked "Is this a treat?" That is a hard question for a little boy. He is a very picky eater, and he actually eats a lot of food I make even though it’s not a treat. LOL. He gobbled down the piece of apple cake I gave him yesterday.
I guess in truth we are all asking ourselves this question every day, "Is this a treat?" I am trying to change my mind set. I want a treat to be a handful of Pistachios (or other nuts), a yummy piece of fruit, or slice of homemade bread. Or maybe even a walk outside in the fall leaves. I don't want sugar to be the treat that always keeps me going. Do you have any treats that make your day more than sugar?

Ingredients
1 T coconut oil
2 -3 T honey
3-4 garlic cloves minced
2 T soy sauce
1/2 C 100% orange juice
1 T chili powder
1 onion diced big pieces or small
1/4 C quinoa uncooked
1 3/4 C brown rice uncooked
3 3/4 C water
3 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Directions

This could be made 2 ways:

1. If you have a pressure cooker (I use a Cusinart. It is worth every penny I spent on it. I love it.), set it on high pressure for 35 min. The chicken was frozen when I put it in. I threw everything in together, cooked it, and let it sit a few minutes after the timer went off. I pulled the chicken apart and stirred it a little bit and it was ready to go. The chicken was so tender.

2. The other way to do it is pour all the ingredients into a crock pot, and let it cook on high for about 4 hours or till the chicken is tender.
Have a nice Halloween weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment