Monday, September 26, 2011

Muesli Scandinavian Cereal

I hope that you had a nice weekend. I had a nice one spending it with family actives. One of the wonderful things I did was go to an L.D.S. worldwide broadcast for women with a couple of my daughters. It was a wonderful evening. I love being a Mom. I also enjoyed spending time cooking in the kitchen with my 3rd daughter. She is living away at college, so I told her I would help her make some meals she could put in the freezer, and have for quick meals. We had a fun time cooking together. Spending time in the kitchen with my children, and husband brings me delight. I have many cherished memories, and I look forward in continuing to make new memories as well.

One of the things I made that I shared with her was this Muesli. This is a Scandinavian cereal that can be served with milk or yogurt for a wonderful breakfast or snack. It is a great way to start off your day with whole grains, protein, and calcium from your dairy. You can also enjoy omega-3s when you add in flaxseeds. It is similar to granola but a little different. It it more like a healthy dried cereal. :) It is another great breakfast for your family.
This is Muesli served with peaches and milk.
These are the buckwheat flakes. I have a flaker that I hook on to my Bosh that turns the grains into flakes. It is a lot of fun. It is wonderful way to make oat groats into oatmeal. Oat groats have a longer shelf life thatn oatmeal.
This is what it looks like before the milk and fruit was added. I thought it tasted really good plain as well.


Ingredients:
4 C old fashioned Oatmeal
1 1/4 C Buckwheat flakes or rye, or wheat flakes
1 C chopped nuts (I used almonds this time)
1/4 C unsweetened coconut flakes
1 C raisins or dried fruit *Optional
1/4 C honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg or 1/4 tsp dried * optional
1/4 tsp cardamom * optional
1/2 ground flaxseed

Directions: preheat oven to 350

1. You can grease cookie sheet with cooking spray. It is works either way. Spread the oats and flakes all over the baking sheet. It took 2 pans. Bake for 10 min.

2. Take the cookie sheets out of the oven and stir in the nuts and coconut. Return back to the oven. Let bake another 8 min approx. Turn off the oven.

3. Take cookie sheet out of the oven. Stir in dried fruit.

4. In a small saucepan on the stove heat up the honey, spices, and vanilla. till all mixed together and warm.

5. Then drizzle over the cereal and stir to coat the cereal. Stir in the flax seed. Then return to warm oven. Let sit in the oven until it is completely cool. (When you cook flax seed you lose some of the beneficial omega 3. So add it after the cooking process. When the oven is just warm.)

No comments:

Post a Comment