Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Steak Kabobs


When I went to the store I got some sirloin tip that was on sale. It was a natural beef too, so that was a wonderful bonus too. I have been trying to find better beef, so I was excited to find this. The butcher told me it wouldn't make great kabobs. He said I could try marinading it, with vinegar that helps break down the fat. Well I decided to give it a whirl. I like a challenge. This marinade was fantastic and the meat was nice and tender. I did leave it overnight. I will be making this again. The flavor was was wonderful. It had just the right combination of seasonings. It added to our father's Day meal!

I read that putting mustard in the marinade is a good kind of emulsifier that allows the oil and vinegar to bond together. It works well in salad dressing too. It also can help balance out the flavors. These kabobs looked wonderful too. It is a wonderful time of year to be using the barbecue. I love this time of year. It goes by way to fast.

Ingredients:

3/4 C olive oil
1 C vinegar
1/2 C Worcestershire sauce
1/2 C soy sauce
2 T dry mustard
6 garlic cloves minced
1 T Steak Seasoning
5 lbs of steak (You could cut down the recipe if you have less meat)
skewers (soaked in water prior to putting the meat on it. Helps to keep them from burning.)
1 can of pineapple chunks *optional
1 onion cut up in chunks *optional

Directions:

1. Blend all the ingredients together in a blender or bowl.

2. Cut up the meat in small bite size pieces. Put in a bowl and poured the marinade on top. Put on the lid. Let it marinade 24 hours. Sir it a couple times during the marinating process.

3. Place the meat and the pineapple and onion on the skewers . We also added the shrimp with it. It made a great combination.

4. Barbecue to desired doneness.

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious (as do the shrimp ones). Made a quinoa salad last night, and thought of GrainCrazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome. I would love to hear your recipe. I made one this last week too. Mine had qunioa and amaranth it was a nice variation of textures and flavors.

    ReplyDelete