Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Whole Grain Bolognese

This tasted really good. I kept going back for more sauce. :) I loved the flavor. I didn't have whole grain spaghetti, so I broke up lasagna noodles it worked out great. I think the Bolognese (Italian name for a meat based sauce) would work with any kind of pasta, rice, barley etc... I hope you enjoy it too!

Ingredients:
2 T olive oil
1 onion chopped up finely
2-4 garlic cloves minced (I love garlic!)
1 tsp rosemary
2 tsp oregano
1/2 to 1 T basil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (added a nice mild bite to it)
2 tsp Italian seasoning* Optional I just had it on hand so added some more! :)
1 lb ground turkey or ground beef (I used turkey worked great!)
1 28 oz can plum tomatoes with liquid chopped up
4 T ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 water
1 small can of mushroom pieces with liquid
10-14 oz of pasta, rice, barley or ?
1/2 to 1 tsp of pepper
salt to taste
garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

1. Heat the oil in the pan, add the onions and garlic. Cook on med heat for about 3 min. Then add herbs and cayenne and cook a couple more minutes. Then add the meat. Cook an stir often until thoroughly browned. Drain off any excess grease.

2. Stir in the canned tomatoes, ketchup, Worcestershire, pepper, mushrooms and water. Bring to a boil while stirring. Cover the pan and lower the heat. Let the sauce simmer for 30 minutes. Stirring it occasionally.

3. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain off all of the water.

4.Scoop pasta of your choice, on to a plate. Then pour on the bolognese. :) Garnish with the grated Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment