Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Triple Onion Cream Soup

This is not a low fat meal, but it tasted really good. You could cut down the fat by using half and half. Which I usually do, but this time I splurged. I incorporated 3 different kinds of onions. Yellow onions are a sweeter onion and a little more potent. White onions have a little less tang to them. Leek added another dimension as well. The picture does not do it justice.

Ingredients:

1/2 C unsalted butter
3 white onions sliced
3 yellow onions sliced
1 leek chopped fine
2 bay leaf
8 C chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 1/3 C heavy cream (You could use half milk)
a little lemon juice (optional)
salt and pepper , croutons, chopped chives to garnish


Directions:

1. Melt 1/4 C butter in large pan. Stir in all of the white onions with the bay leafs. Stir to coat with butter and cook on low for 30 minutes. Onions should be soft but not brown.

2. Turn up the heat and add the broth, and leek. Add a little salt and pepper too. Bring to a boil lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Set soup aside to cool down. Take out the bay leaves. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Pour the soup back into the pan.

4. Melt the rest of the butter in a frying pan. Cook the yellow onions slowly until soft, but not brown. Take off the lid and continue to cook until the onions are a golden yellow. (These onions add a nice texture and buttery flavor to the soup.)

5. Add the cream to the soup, in the pan with heat on low until the soup is hot. You can add some lemon juice for a nice added flavor. Pour in the yellow onions. Stir for 1-2 minutes. Serve with croutons, chopped chives, or crackers. Yum!

3 comments:

  1. Cherie,
    I just told my cooking class at UVU about your wonderful site. Thanks for all of your great whole grain recipes! Keep up the good work. I got the menu plan done if you still want to be a part of it let me know.
    Desiree

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this and it was really yummy. But I had to guess which onions to saute and puree because you have yellow twice. I did the white, it seemed to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Ellen It was the yellow ones. Thanks for letting me know that I left that off. I am glad you enjoyed it. =)

    ReplyDelete