Friday, January 28, 2011

Spiced Apple Berry Almond Crumble with Almond Cream

I loved this! It was heavenly. The almond cream added the perfect touch. I will be making it again soon. I don't get excited about apple crisp, but this was yummy. It had a hint of sweetness and the spices and almonds were fantastic in it.

Here it is ready to dig into. It makes my mouth water looking at it.

This is the fruit mixture with the added spices and sweetener.

This is what it looked like before it went in the oven.

This is after it cooked.

Ingredients:
3 granny smith apples (I used my apple peeler to slice them up)
1 C mixed berries (I used a mix with blackberries, blueberries and raspberries)
orange zest from one orange
juice from 2 oranges
1/8 C coconut sugar or sweetener of your choice (I may try honey next)
For topping:
1 1/2 C Mixed whole grains (spelt, oats kamut) Or your choice
1/4 C finely chopped almonds
3 T butter
1/8 C coconut sugar (or other sweetener)
1/2 tsp cardamom (I love this stuff)
1 tsp cinnamon

1 1/2 C whip cream
1 tsp almond extract
1 to 2 T powdered sugar
orange zest for garnish

1. Heat oven to 400. Grease square pan or 2 qt dish.

2. Prepare apples and put in bowl, with berries, zest, juice and sugar. Mix it all together. Pour into the pan.

3. In a separate bowl mix the flour, sugar, spices, almonds together cut in the butter till all crumbly. spread over the fruit. Make sure you go to the edge to seal the juices in.

4. Bake 25- 35 min. Until lightly golden. (The apples were soft but not over cooked) Whip cream in a bowl, add the almond extract, and sugar. Dish the crumble into dishes, and put on a dollop of cream. I sprinkled on a little orange zest for an extra touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment