Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cranberry Oat Muffins (Low Gluten)

This is a wonderful treat to enjoy, while getting the benefits of eating cranberries. :) I love this time of year when you can buy the fresh cranberries in the store. I learned a trick last year you can freeze cranberries, and you can then use them all year. Yeah! Some of the SUGGESTED benefits to cranberries are, they can help urinary tract infections, reduction of dental plaque, anti cancer activities, heart diseases, and kidney stones. That is a nice long list. I like getting cranberries fresh because they haven't added all the sugar. It is hard to find dried unsweetened ones.

I love the sweet and tart combination this recipe has. (I used to always love those sweet and tart suckers too. :) These kind of reminded me of a yummy bran muffin. They were nice and dense. The problem when they taste good is I eat too many of them. :(

My mother in law is gluten intolerant. I have found when I make her things with spelt and kamut she doesn't have a problem. Each person is different. It has been fun to make her yummy things she can eat.

Ingredients:

2 C spelt flour
1/2 C oatmeal
1/2 C Sucanat or sweetener of your choice
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 C fresh cranberries Chopped (I just chopped them in the blender)
2 T honey
1/2 C Almond milk or 1/3 C regular milk *
1 egg *
2 T oilve oil
3/4 C fresh orange juice or you could used canned
1 T orange zest

Directions:

1. Heat the oven to 350 Grease muffin pan. It made 12 regular muffins.

2. Combine in a bowl, spelt, oatmeal, sucanat salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add cranberries and stir to coat them with the flour mixture.

3. Then mix in a separate bowl, egg, oil, honey, juice, milk, and zest. Then add to flour mixture. Stir just until blended. Spoon into muffin pans.

4. Bake 12-15 min or until completely cooked through. Enjoy! these are a keeper.

* Almond milk is a little thicker so you can add a little more.

*I realized I left the egg out, after I had already put the batter into the pan. I decided to see how it would work without it. It worked well. It may have risen higher with the egg and been a little lighter. But I was happy with them. A recipe is just a guide. You can do your own experimenting.
Have fun. =)

* These taste even better the second day. They are soooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment