Monday, November 8, 2010

Chicken Vegetable Chili



I changed the normal Chicken Chili recipe by adding some more vegetables to it. I was happy with the result. It seemed like the perfect meal for a cooler fall night. I have been doing a lot more with fresh garlic. It seems like I keep hearing more and more about the health benefits of garlic. I like the flavor it adds to my food too. I was roasting some garlic bulbs in my oven this afternoon. My daughter came home from school and was drawn to it. She even ate some of the soup before it was finished because she was so excited by the smell. It's nice when my family gets excited about healthy food. I also had fun roasting my own tomatoes.

Ingredients:
5 C Water
2 T Olive oil
3 Boneless skinless chicken Breasts
1 Chopped onion
1 C Chopped carrots
1 large can of roasted tomatoes drained or 2 C of your own roasted tomatoes*
1 7oz can of diced green chili
2 T Garlic, minced, or 1 roasted garlic*
1 140z can white corn
3 T Lime juice or juice from 1 lime
1 T Cumin
2 tsp Lemon Pepper
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 14oz can of white northern beans rinsed and drained

1. In large pot I put in olive oil and chicken and onion to cook a little bit. Then chop up the chicken into small pieces. (If you have a Bosch, you can put the chicken into the bowl with the cookie paddles on. It shreds the meat. It is wonderful.)

2. Pour 5 C water with cumin and lemon pepper into the pot with the chicken, boil. Then reduce heat and simmer 20-30.

3. Then add garlic, corn, tomatoes, chilies, carrots, and lime juice. Have the mixture come to a boil. then add the drained and rinsed beans. simmer for 20-45 minutes. (You could leave on warm in crock pot till ready to serve.) Add additional seasonings according to your preference.

Optional: Serve in soup bowls with chips in the bottom, soup, and cheese and a little sour cream on top. Enjoy!

* I roasted my Roma tomatoes. 3 lbs = 2 cups. Cut tomatoes in half. Put the tomatoes in a bowl with 4 T Olive and salt and pepper. Then pour on to cookie sheet in one layer. Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes. Watch so they don't burn.

* I roasted garlic bulbs as well. You cut a small slice off the top of the bulb. You then pour 1/2 tsp olive oil on to each bulb you are cooking. (I cooked 2 so I could have an extra for later. ) Let the oil seep into the garlic and then pour another 1/2 tsp into the garlic. Place in pan, and cover with foil. Then cook at 375 degrees for about an hour. The top of the garlic will be golden and the garlic will be soft. I then squeezed the bulb into the soup, leaving the shell behind. It smells wonderful while it cooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment